Sunday, January 19, 2014

Start of Something New! 1/19/14

Kumusta Pamilya at mga kaibigan!
So this past week was transfer week, it was a bitter sweet moment. Happy because I was done with my training, but sad because Sister Lazan got transferred. She's an STL in the lowlands now, and I know that she'll be great there. I was really nervous to get my new companion, but once I met her, I knew that this would be a great transfer! So my new comp is Sister Aroa from Bulakon (idk if that's how you spell it haha). She's from the Philippines near Manilla, but she knows a lot of English, so we can still communicate. She has helped so much already with my Tagalog though, so I really think that I will be better at the language by the end of this transfer! Also, my other housemate is Filipina too, and she baresly speaks english haha so we will be speaking Tagalog in the apartment which is great!
So not much happened this week since it was transfer week, but we are off to a good start with some investigators that we want to extend IBD's too and hopefully they will be baptized during this cycle. We have a lot of new rules starting this transfer for the mission, so now my P-Day will start at 12, and we have earlier curfews so that we can update the area book each night. It's taking a little adjustment to the new schedule since I'm done training, we have a lot of finding time each morning, but this will give us more motivation to find people prepared for the word and baptize. Our mission president has really emphasized the fact that we are a baptizing mission, not just here for Bible study, so I have a job to do and only a limited amount of time. Even though Baguio is really hard for baptisms (it's the comfort of south america with the success of Europe ha) but I believe in us and I know that this is the Lord's will! This truly is the time to hasten the work, that has been reiterated over and over because it needs to be done! I'm so lucky to be serving a mission at this time, and I know that this is preparing me for the rest of my life and into eternity.
So since not much happened this week, I decided that I would share some funny things that have happened to me since I've been here.
1.It's so cold in Baguio that I sleep in 3 pairs of pants and 3 shirts, and 2 socks. Sometimes it's hard for me to believe that I'm actually in the Philippines haha.
2.There are a lot of creepy old men here that are married to Filipinas, Everytime I see and American here, we just make this weird eye contact and I think to myself, "I know why I'm here, but why are you here??" haha yeah weird.
3. People still can't get over my hair, especially when I wear it down. They all want to touch it and say that I'm like a barbie doll haha.
4.Even though I have my Texas necklace, no one here knows what Texas looks like, until one day this little girl came out to me and asked if I was from Texas! I was so shocked that she recognized my necklace! The only reason that she knows that Texas looks like though is because she watches Spongebob hahah.
4. I have lost all of my fashion sense and I'm a firm believer in grandma sweaters and thrift store clothes, Ukay Ukays are my jam now.
5.Last story, one day at the internet shop, this old creepy white guy was talking to all of us american missionaries asking where we were from. I told him I was from Dallas, and then he went off about how murderers are from Dallas becasue JFK was assassinated there. Yeah, any white person that I see here that's not a missionary is just a little strange.

Well, I hope you enjoyed this random email this week haha I'll be more spiritual and stuff next week once we've done some more. But I love my mission, I love this area, I love my new companion, and I'm excited to hasten the work of salvation! Oh and some final shoutouts! Thanks for the letters Sister Behrmann, Duke, Sydney Wallace, and Elder Dunn! Also, I got the packages Aunt Alice and Uncle Vyrl, thanks for the candy, the Filipino's in my apartment love it haha they've never had starbursts before! And thank you Sherman seminary! I will try to get a picture of a seminary class here and write back!
Mahal Kita!
Sister Bangerte
So, last P-day we went to some tourist sites like the Botanical Gardens and Baguio Mansion, so cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment