Sunday, September 21, 2014

The Chicken. 9/21/2014

Kumusta sa inyong lahat!
So this week I experienced my first typhoon! It was epic, and there were two of them. But don't worry, I'm safe and our apartment is fine, it was just the most intense rain storm I've ever been in. Just imagine "The Other Side of Heaven" when there's that huge rainstorm, and that's been my week! Rain or shine, and even in the middle of typhoons, we still go out to preach the gospel. A lot of people kept commenting about our dedication as we walked soaking wet through the streets, but they still didn't want to listen to us. But it's ok because at least now they recognize us as dedicated servants of the Lord!
So since it's been raining cats and dogs here, we were punted a lot, but we still had some amazing lessons with Brother Joey Fortin. I talked about him last week, and he's still one of my favorite people. His conversion is just like Alma the Younger. His wife and daughter are members, and he used to be so against the church. He's hide from the missionaries and even tried to stop his daughter from going to church things. But now, he realizes the importance of the gospel in his life, and has a broken heart and a contrite spirit. We taught him about the Atonement this week, and it was the most powerful lesson I've had with him. He truly recognizes that without Christ, he can do nothing, but because of His infinite and eternal atonement, we are made clean and we can change. It's for moments like that, when I see someone realize the power and impact of the atonement in their life, and make the steps to change and accept the gospel that all the hours we got straight punted in a typhoon suddenly don't matter anymore because I'm here on my mission for people like Brother Joey. I love this gospel, and my mission and the eternal perspective that it's given me.
So even though this week had its ups and downs with the weather, I can still look back and see all the good that has come out of our efforts. I love you all, thanks for the prayers, and I hope that you all take advantage of this gospel because it really is what matters most.
Shout outs to Sister Aimee Smith, thanks for being my visiting teacher from across the globe! And Happy Birthday Dad! I hope you had a great birthday ya old man ;) don't worry, still young at heart!
Mahal Kita,
Sister Bangerter

PS- on a totally unrelated and nonspiritual note, let me tell you about the chicken. So the other day, I'm just downstairs putting in my contacts when someone comes to the door. They ask for Sister Villiarin, but she was at the market, so the man just hangs me this blue bag and asks me to give it to her. As he walks away, he kind laughs and yells that it's a live chicken...I didn't know if he was joking, but then I see a beak sticking out of the bottom! I just put it on the table and refused to look in the bag until someone else came down stairs. Five minutes later, Sister Tanner and Sister Villiarin come home from the market and are all excited because the bag is there. They take it in the laundry room and pull out a live chicken! So they bought a chicken so that they could kill it themselves and eat it haha. So we had a chicken chilling and pooping all over our laundry room for a few days, and then on Saturday, they killed it and made Arescaldo with it. Needless to say, it was fresh, and none of us could finish it and we're all off chicken for a while. Oh the experiences of the mission, gotta love it!





No comments:

Post a Comment