Sunday, April 27, 2014

A Wedding, a Baptism, and a Funeral 4/27/14

Hello po sa inyong lahat!
Wow, this was an eventful week here in Agoo! First, I want to apologive for my boring emails, I wrote down a lot of stuff that happened this week so that I could tell ya'll some more interesting things about my life here as a missioary in the Philippines. So first, I'll start with some random or funny things that happened in the week, and then get to the spiritual stuff, because that's what's most important. Anyways, this is how my week went.
1.I got dangerously close to being bit by a dog. I think my heart stopped for about 10 seconds, but no worries, the demon beast just got my skirt, no skin!
2.I look like Mariah Carey daw (they said)
3.It started POURING out of no where the other day, and we made an appointment with someone, so we walked clear across our area in the rain with our umbrellas while it was thundering and lightening. I was pretty afraid that we might get struck by lightening, and no trykes were out, so we just had to walk. Once we got to the person's house we were planning to teach, they had no electricity -_- so we just made a return appointment, but he appreciated our dedication. Anything for a lesson right?
4.The Relief Society President's daughter got married this week, and they wanted the missionaries to help set up, and invited us to eat at the reception. So this was my second wedding on the mission. The reception was fun, and I got to try goat, not really a fan, but yay for trying new things!
5.So the best part of this week, the Gaerlan Family got baptized!! They are really such an amazing couple and they have firm testimonies that this is the true church. As you know, when there's a baptism, there are trials, and it wasn't any different for their family. A few days before the baptism, Sister Gaerlan's brother died. We went over to give them some comfort, and they were both excited and wanting to push on with the baptism even if all the funeral services were at their house. In the Philippines, funerals are a little different. They last for about 7-9 days and the casket is in your house, open with glass over the top so you can see the body. On Sunday night, we held a service for them where we had someone talk about the plan of salvation, and then sang a lot of church hymns. So there's a lot going on for their family, but they are so happy to be members of this true church!
So that was the highlights of this week. On a more spiritual note, I've been thinking a lot about the Savior and His love for us this week. It's been a little hard for me to adjust to a totally new area since I was in my last one for 6 months. I knew everything there, and to come to a new place where I don't know the people at all, and even some people speak Ilokacano, it took a little bit of adjusting again. But each time that I feel like this on my mission, I turn to the Lord through prayer, I listen to conference talks (my favorite is Uchkdorf, especially his talk "You Matter to Him") and feel the power of the Atonement in my life again, reminding me that I do matter, and He knows my struggles. That's something that I continue to learn on my mission, the true power of the Atonement and what it means to have a Savior. He suffered it all, so that we wouldn't have to suffer alone. I'm thanful for the true gospel in my life, I'm thankful for my family, and I'm thankful to be a missionary of Christ's church. I know that this is where I'm supposed to be, and I wouldn't want to be anywhere else!
I love you all, thanks for the emails and prayers, and shout outs to Mom and Brent, I got your letters, thanks so much!
Mahal Kita!
Sister Bangerter
This little kid was wearing a Dallas jersey, I had to take a pic!

The Branch President's dog was just too cute

Me and Sister Hatch!

One of the streets in our area

National Day of Service! 

The Gaerlan's baptism

Agoo Zone

Scriptures of the week: Moses 1:39, Mosiah 2:25, 3 Nephi 9:14&22

No comments:

Post a Comment